We can all recognize the many benefits from SEPTA because it is a cheap and convenient way for people to travel around Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. However, using SEPTA is very risky because many people get seriously injured when there is an accident involving a SEPTA vehicle.
If you are involved in a SEPTA bus, trolley, or train accident, you are owed compensation for any personal injuries. The same is true if you are the driver of another vehicle that is struck by a SEPTA bus, trolley, or train. There are several important actions to take in order to better assure that you are given proper compensation.
What You Should Do After a SEPTA Accident
While it can be difficult to know what to do in the chaos after a SEPTA accident, there are several steps that you should take in order to guarantee that you get the compensation to which you are entitled.
- Make sure that you are given a SEPTA incident card. This identifies you as a passenger affected by the accident. Unfortunately, SEPTA accident fraud is very common. People will try to jump on the bus after an accident or claim that they were involved in the accident when they were not. Because of this, the form is important to prove that your claim is legitimate. If you are not given one immediately, you should ask for one.
- Fill out the incident card immediately. The form is a duplicate. Make sure to give one copy to the driver and keep the other for yourself. Don’t lose this form!
- Write down relevant accident information. Make sure to find out the bus driver’s name and write down a detailed description of him or her. Take a picture with your phone, not only of the driver, but the property damage to any and all vehicles involved in the accident if you can. Also, record any information related to the accident, such as the time of the accident, the bus number, and the number of the bus route.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses or other passengers. Having the testimony of other witnesses to the accident will help your case. Make sure you have a way to contact them later.
- Keep a record of any damages you sustain and report it immediately. Document your physical injuries and/or any damage to your personal items. Take pictures when appropriate and keep your medical records. Seek treatment if you are injured. If you cannot prove that your injuries were directly related to a SEPTA accident, your claim may be delayed or denied.
Because SEPTA is a public agency, they require a high level of proof to approve your claim. Often it can be difficult to recover damages even after following the above steps. An experienced SEPTA accident attorney can help make sure that you get the full compensation that you deserve. Attorney Jeffrey Harlan Penneys is available at any time for a free consultation to help you figure out how to best move forward with your case. He has settled thousands of cases for millions of dollars in recovery. Fill out the information form or call him today at 1-800Injury Law to have him on your side to fight for your rights.